Re: Being Laid Off - Unemployment Benefits

Subject: Re: Being Laid Off - Unemployment Benefits
From: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:41:55 -0600

Hi all

This is just a tidbit of surprising information I discovered when I went through the process in 2004. I was utterly shocked to learn that Unemployement benefits aren't paid in order to benefit and help sustain the individual. Instead, they are paid on the basis that they benefit the economy as a whole, by providing a means for the general overall flow to continue. The viewpoint is to help sustain the foundation of economy. Not to sustain the affected individual.

I'm not sure which surprised me more. That little discovery or the one about why employers frown on the employee looking at porn sites on the job. In this case, one would naturally conclude that it's simply wrong from the standpoint of the employee wasting time and resources that are intended to further the bottom line of the company. But I read somewhere that the fundamental reason is the fear that other employees will see the computer screens of those misbehaving, become offended and file lawsuits accordingly.

Strange society we live in...