Re: User Interface Design Standards

Subject: Re: User Interface Design Standards
From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf -at- au1 -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "Lisa Romie" <lisaromie -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:37:11 +0800

Hi Lisa -

It would be easier if you needed guidelines for GUI applications for a
particular OS, because these are already available (e.g. MS has published
guidelines for Windows applications, there's the Apple HIG for Mac
applications, CDE and OpenLook guidelines for UNIX, and so on).

Web applications haven't had the benefit of 10-20 years of shared
development history or the unifying influence of a pushy vendor, but there
do seem to be some useful resources out there:

http://www.lukew.com/resources/links_webapps.html

http://www.ibm.com/ibm/easy/eou_ext.nsf/publish/558 (see especially under
the Design link)

Ideally you will specify a few layers of relevant standards. For example,
you might tell designers to consult, in order:
1. a very short document listing your organisation's in-house standards
2. the Microsoft Web-Application Interface guidelines
3. the general Windows UI design guidelines

(I'm not saying you need to take MS's word as law--this is just an
example.)

Three weeks isn't much time! You'll probably have to start with a bare
handful of in-house guidelines, and expect to add more gradually as issues
arise during design.

Here's a fantastic portal for usability testing and UI design resources,
alas no longer being actively maintained:
http://usableweb.com/

See http://usableweb.com/about/ for links to other, more up-to-date,
usability resources.

Good luck.