RE: Being Laid Off

Subject: RE: Being Laid Off
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Morton, Christopher" <CMorton -at- caiso -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:45:14 -0500

Christopher Morton said...

> For the record, most jobs I've held were unadvertised. Several came
> about as a result of my solicitation, which took various forms. A
> jump-start gig came about when I sent a polite letter to a Windows
> newsletter publisher letting them know how I would improve the
> publication if I were in charge. That led to a great cross-country
move
> that really helped my kids expand their horizons. After five years and
> many raises, I leveraged that gig into something even better.

This is one approach advocated by the perennial best-seller "What Color
is Your Parachute." One of the strategies the author advises jobseekers
to take is to identify (1) the industry, (2) the area, (3) the company,
and (4) the type of job you'd like to have. Then approach those
companies in person, in writing, or by e-mail and essentially tell them
what you'd like to do for them. Essentially you're providing the company
with a need they have and a way to fill it (even if it's a need they
didn't recognize before you contacted them).

As Christopher's example shows it can work and can lead to wonderful
opportunities. Good luck to all those who have recently learned they
need to be job hunting!