RE: Most annoying word

Subject: RE: Most annoying word
From: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
To: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:24:36 -0700

OK, most annoying word that's actually used is "utilize" in all its
forms.

But, I had a boss years ago (USAF Major) who got tired of using the
standard closing on DIN messages (before the 'net) and decided to get
creative. So, instead of using the standard "POC (point of contact) is
Major SO-and-so at 123-345-5678, he said, "You can contact me
*telephonically* at 123-345-5678. Telephonically?! He asked me to read
his message before sending it and I pointed out that not only was that
not a word, it was a stupid non-word. He insisted. Fine - HIS name on
the thing, not mine.

SO, you guessed it. For the next several weeks, we had people calling
the office asking to speak to the major "telephonically".