Re: managing interns

Subject: Re: managing interns
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Julia Cemer" <jcemer -at- wavelink -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:33:20 -0800

In this situation, I would plan on being available for regular
conferences with the poor souls who are minding the store
in your absence to provide guidance, having them send you their work to review at home and being on call for them in
critical decision situations. It isn't just that the inexperienced interns won't be as capable as you technically, they will also be relatively defenseless against anyone who wants to turn your entire process on its ear in your absence (just think about all the things you fend off on a regular basis and imagine what things would be like if you had no authority
to do the fending off and you'll have an idea where the interns
will be). If you want to avoid having to come back and rebuild everything from the ground up, plan on being part-time rather than on leave.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julia Cemer" <jcemer -at- wavelink -dot- com>