Re: Font Type/Size for online help?

Subject: Re: Font Type/Size for online help?
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:59:39 -0500

> OK, so Char slapped me around a bit. Apparently it's not good to use
> "small" and "big", since they display differently in different
> browsers. My point is that they are 100% scalable. Oh well.

:-D

> Char sez: best way is to set percents or ems on body tag.
>
> And to be completely serious for a moment, listen to Char - she's the
> expert. I just use what works. ;-)

Since I jumped in offline, I figured I should jump in online ;-)

IE is the only (modern) browser that doesn't resize pixels, which is
why they shouldn't be used. And points should never be used.

The easiest way to control fonts (both families and sizes) is to apply
your defaults to the body tag in the CSS, and then override it as
necessary. (In my case, I override it for my heading styles and my
footers. I do NOT set the font size on every element...too much work
to change it, and sometimes the browsers get the math wrong.)

I always use 80% as the base font size, which can be resize in all browsers.

Oh, and I always use Arial. I used to use Verdana when it first came
out, but the characters are too wide for me.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Candidate for Secretary
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com