RE: Usability stuff combined with Friday fodder

Subject: RE: Usability stuff combined with Friday fodder
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: DJones -at- zebra -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:45:14 -0500

Jones, Donna

> A friend forwarded me a link to this site, which contains a
> host of bad
> product designs. Many of the problems are solved with a simple bit of
> documentation or with a tech writer being involved at the
> product design
> phase (how's that for getting in a tech writer tie in?).
>

> http://www.baddesigns.com/examples.html

Hmm.
The very first one was the kitchen timer. That could be solved only by
signage or an instruction sheet... or an old person. It's not bad design.
It's mechanical design. You have to wind the mechanism past a certain point
for it to have enough 'reserve' tension to function. It carries all that
'reserve' tension right down to the final second, at which whatever tension
remains is released by the noisemaker (hammer on bell, rattle, whatever)

The very first one that I ever met, almost 50 years ago, worked that way. It
was my grandmother's, and she'd had it for decades.

Electronic versions don't have the problem, but lose some of the charm.

Kevin (who just received the latest build and must get back to work)