Re: managing interns

Subject: Re: managing interns
From: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:55:29 -0500

On 2/28/06, James Jones <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> And those young people will probably find some stuff
> (stuff that the more seasoned employees would find dull) very interesting
> and good learning experiences.

I entered the tech writing field as an intern. For five months I
spent 20 hours a week working on things like proofreading help files
that had been converted from FrameMaker to WebWorks. While I was
looking for dropped graphics, weirdly formatted tables, and vanishing
bold formatting I also learned a great deal about how to structure
content for both print and help, conditional text, and other handy
skills.

My other major assignment was reformatting a document that was written
by a company that we acquired. A senior writer had already converted
the Word document to FrameMaker. I was going through and re-applying
styles, and occasionally adding a bulleted list, or converting a
procedure buried in a paragraph to numbered steps. I learned a lot
about how a standard template can make documents written by different
writers, in very different styles, have at least a semblance of
uniformity.

One other project was related to their online documenation library.
They were going to change from "members only" to a public library. I
went through all of the PDFs on the site and changed the security
profile (I can't remember what we were locking down, but it was
something). This time I got a chance to see all of the documents in a
doc set, for each of the different releases and product lines.

You can turn just about any seeming boring task into a learning
experience for your interns.

Julie