RE: DITA possible for start-up/lone writer?

Subject: RE: DITA possible for start-up/lone writer?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Cathy MacDonald" <camacdonald -at- core -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:28:01 -0800

Well, first of all don't blame XML. It is such a buzzword product that
people want to use it even if they don't know what it does. Your PHB is
an example of this.

The data fields probably match some database or other data collection;
that's why they're so weird. I wouldn't change them.

XML is useful even if you can't validate it. Having a DTD or schema is
nice, but XML does not *require* you to have one. If you don't have one,
you can not do some of the cool things.

Apache Ant, for example, is an XML language that does not have a DTD.
Programmers are allowed to extend Ant, and for other reasons one can not
develop a constrained DTD for it.

I happen to know that Oracle has a free version of JDeveloper, which not
only edits DTDs and schemas but also converts DTDs *to* schemas (or at
least used to).

Somebody else may be able to provide you with a free tool for it.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.