RE: Developing a troubleshooting guide

Subject: RE: Developing a troubleshooting guide
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:25:36 -0800

Yeah, but that's treating users like babies, and I dislike that. It also
is bound to generate calls to tech support!

In my experience, good design involves several things:
* Make the setup/install/startup as automatic as possible. Put your best
engineers to work on it.
Then let your tech support people critique their work. Once the user
has a problem getting the
darn thing going, you've lost 50% of their good will and attention.
* *Provide documentation*. The real problem is that lots of
shareware/freeware comes with *nothing*.
* If you provide documentation, at least have a tech writer *edit* it.
Engineers and tech gurus can
write reasonably well, but that's not the same as writing really good
technical documentation. *AND I KNOW!*
I was one of those SW engineers who figured he could write as well as
any tech writer. WRONG-O! Fortunately
I had a patient manager and mentor who collectively let me figure out
how dumb that attitude was.
* Make the documentation easy to use in the environment. Lots of people
don't have extra room around their
computer for books; don't have a telephone close by, and so forth.

Nonetheless, Peter's basic idea is a good one; hide easter eggs and
challenge people to find them. They'll at least *open the book*. I will
send off to Sweden immediately.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.