Re: synchronizing on-the-fly

Subject: Re: synchronizing on-the-fly
From: "Prashanth Menon" <prashanthv -dot- menon -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com" <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:54:47 +0530

> As I do so, the magic
> utility should ensure that a copy goes to my local hard disk (if it's in
> the
> mood) and a copy goes to the network (if there's a working connection). If
> one or the other repository has a problem, I should maybe get a warning
> message, but I should be permitted to keep working - as long as I've got
> at
> least one place accepting my data.

You should try the Cobian back up utility:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm. It's both free and easy to
use. And, it does most of what is needed in your case.

Here's an excerpt from the Cobian online help:

What is Cobian Backup?

Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and
backup your files and directories from their original location to other
directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network.
FTP backup is also supported in both directions.

Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and
service<file:///C:/Program%20Files/Cobian%20Backup%207/Help/appserv_en.htm>.
The program uses very few resources and can be running in the background on
your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when
necessary. Cobian Backup is *not an usual backup application*: it only
copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to another
destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be
better described as a *"Scheduler for security copies"*.

With Cobian Backup you can automatically backup your files once, daily,
weekly, monthly, or on a timer basis, *using compression or not*. *Incremental
and differential backups* are supported as well. You can also save and open
lists with different backup file sets.

> The utility should not cause system slowdowns (I've got a 3.2 GHz machine
> with 2GB memory) or lockouts. It should never lose or corrupt data.

It did slowdown my system a bit (significantly slow when the scheduled
service is backing-up); however, my system is inferior compared with yours (
2.8 gig with 512MB memory).

Prashanth