Re: Indexing Question

Subject: Re: Indexing Question
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:53:10 -0500

> David Dubin asked:
>
> > Here is a question that has just arisen with us. Where should we put
> the
> > Index for a technical course with multiple volumes? I have selected
> the
> > end
> > of the last volume, but would like your input please.

When I have worked on multi-volume documentation sets, I have done an
index at the end of each individual volume (unless it was so small
that it didn't need one, such as a quick reference card or short
tutorial). Then, I create a Master Index that is a separate document.
Then you don't have people wondering which document they should look
in for this or that information...they can go to one comprehensive
source.

Index Tools Professional, a shareware application from Silicon Prairie
Software (http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com), which I just
downloaded today for my newly assigned laptop, even has a built in
feature for generating master indexes. Pretty neat stuff. It's a lot
cheaper than IXGen, the other main FrameMaker indexing utility, too.

I am not affiliated with Silicon Prairie Software other than as a happy user.

-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com