RE: Rhetoric And Technical Writing?

Subject: RE: Rhetoric And Technical Writing?
From: <Cindy -dot- Crittenden -at- cox -dot- com>
To: <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:51:50 -0500

I am primarily a user interface designer with a background in technical
writing. This one issue pretty much drives my entire professional
career.

Poor design drives the need for great documentation, both online and
printed. Users will admit to rarely reading the manual, but just wait
until they're really stuck and forced to turn to it. It could be the
greatest documentation ever written, but if it doesn't answer their
question, it's very unlikely they will ever refer to it again.

Now, of course poor design is more often the rule rather than the
exception. How many times have we all heard "oh, that's a training
issue", or "we'll just cover that in the documentation" coming from
TPTB?

I'll admit, sheepishly, that I myself am not a manual "reader". I fall
squarely in the category of those that refer to the manual only as a
last resort - so I'm just perpetuating the problem. :)