RE: why I like the Dummies books - was Boring documentation

Subject: RE: why I like the Dummies books - was Boring documentation
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <victoria_wroblewski -at- usr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:50:46 -0600

>> Anyways, that's my two-cents worth. Anyone else brave enough to admit
>>that they've used a Dummies book? ;-)

Add me to the Frame for Dummies crowd. Moving from Interleaf to Frame,
it was a great quick-ref to help me get adjusted and understanding Frame
pretty quickly. And the TOC, index and overall style do make it very
easy to find one piece of information when that is all you need.

The first Dummies book I ever bought was a non-technical book, Wine for
Dummies. I've recommended it to countless people since then. It's a
perfect example of how they can take a subject that is intimidating to a
lot of people and break it down so you can understand it. I learned as
much from that book as I did my first college-level wine course.

The Dummies books have their place... I prefer a good reference book for
something like HTML over a Dummies book. I've had a couple of Dummies
books that bored me to tears because they only covered the basics I knew
and it was my own darned fault for not going for a book that really
suited my needs. When you need to get the basics of something quickly
or you are indeed a "Dummy" and don't know much about the subject you're
studying, they can be great.

- Victoria

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.

Thank you. US Robotics