Re: Any suggestions for replacing Word

Subject: Re: Any suggestions for replacing Word
From: Janani Gopalakrishnan <jananigopalakrishnan -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:32:57 -0800 (PST)

OpenOffice.org Writer really is very good. I use it
for almost all my
writing work, and I find it very stable. To point out
the shortcomings: It
does not have a grammar check (not that Word's grammar
check is very good)
and the Track Changes functionality is not too well
developed (so you might
find reviewing a little cumbersome).

BTW, have you tried DocBook... I have not tried it
personally but some of my
friends who've used it are all praise for it.
Extremely portable and stable,
irrespective of the size of your document. Of course
you could use a high
level authoring tool, but at the most basic level all
you'd need is a simple
text editor!

Smiles,
Janani