RE: Acronyms, abbreviations and initialism

Subject: RE: Acronyms, abbreviations and initialism
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "Beth Agnew" <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:23:19 -0500

Or, one could argue, that not all acronyms are initialisms. Radar (RAdio Detection And Ranging) is an acronym because it is a pronounceable word. But, it uses more than the initial letter of one of the words which would make it NOT an initialism. FBI is an initialism because it uses only the initials, but you wouldn't call it an acronym. Snafu (Situation Normal All Fouled *for polite folks--others are less discrete* Up) is both an initialism and an acronym. All of them are abbreviations.

Waiting for Geoff Hart to weigh in on this one. Come on Geoff!

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com