Re: [Query] Your Experience(s) with AuthorIT

Subject: Re: [Query] Your Experience(s) with AuthorIT
From: "A" <aurora -at- identicloak -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:26:42 -0400 (EDT)

David Dickerson said:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I have done some research on the AuthorIT Web site at the URL,
> <http://www.author-it.com/>, and I am very impressed by what I
> have learned.
>
> Could any of you who use AuthorIT, or have used it, please share
> with me your experiences, good and bad? Assuming that my company
> can afford AuthorIT (and decides to purchase it), I would write
> printed documentation (out of Word 2003), create PDFs, and create
> on-line help for our flagship product, which is accessed by our
> users via a Web browser.

AIT does allow a pretty good single-sourcing environment. You can do
the things you've mentioned with relative aplomb. However, there are
snarls. AIT is restrictive in what it allows you to do with CSS and
its Javascript support is notoriously weak. There is NO documentation
on the internal structure of the SQL database that it uses and there
is NO support for real versioning. This means that if you are in a
software shop that creates multiple simealtaneous branches of code,
AIT makes your life sheer torment.

HTH,
A.u.r.o.r.a
Yes, this is a humor site!
--- www.adventuresindefecation.com ---
Third-grade bathroom humor for everyone!