Re: Installation - Configuration

Subject: Re: Installation - Configuration
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:08:48 +0530

On 4/7/06, Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote:
> Installation is the complete process of placing something within something
> else, according to the requirements of that larger whole; in this case,
> presumably you are referring to installing software on a computer.
>
> Configuration is a subprocess of installation in which the software's
> internal parts and functions are connected to the larger whole by human
> effort in a way that allows the software to function as it was designed to
> function.

Suppose we look at hardware, where we can find more difference between
these two terms. Let's even avoid computer hardware. How about an
air-conditioner ("AC")?

Installation: you have a technician come to your home (or office or
wherever), unpack the AC unit, fit it into/onto a special
area/platform reserved or prepared for the unit. While in some cases
the technician may tweak some stuff in the AC unit, by and large s/he
won't do much "configuration" as such.

Configuration: when you want to use the AC, you switch it on and then
adjust temperature settings, whether to allow external air into the
room or recycle from within the room.. and possibly other settings.

Moving back to software: an intelligent installer/installation program
will probably perform a good deal of initial configuration of settings
for you, but that is usually a one-time procedure. While using the
software, though, you have the freedom to constantly change options
and settings; in effect, you can constantly re-configure the software.
This is not true in all cases of software installations, but for a lot of them.

My 2c.

Ed.