Re: Move to Adobe FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Move to Adobe FrameMaker
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:29:28 -0500

Hi, Mary:

We are an equipment manufacturer using Quicksilver or Interleaf for
development of operator's manuals. I am trying to determine whether or
not we should move to FrameMaker.

What issues should I be aware of?

I'm looking for software with long-term stability and training and
support available.

A good start in evaluating a change like this would be to list all the issues that are causing you to question staying with your current tools and methods, so you can compare them with FrameMaker or other candidate tools and workflows.

In addition, posting your list of specifics would help to gather specific responses and opinions from those with experience in these areas.

Regarding the process of migration - the better organized and consistent your existing content is, the more efficient the transition will be.

FrameMaker has proven its stability over many years. I'm one of a number of long-term FrameMaker trainers and consultants who has learned that it's trustworthy enough to recommend to our customers, and they have learned that there's good return on their investment in our training, support, and consulting services.

Adobe has just appointed its first-time-ever FrameMaker evangelist, which is in keeping with the renewed commitment presented at the recent FrameMaker Chautauqua by the FrameMaker product development team members.

FrameMaker has long been a standard in many regulated industries, such as aerospace, pharmaceuticals, and automotive, as well as in the military.

You might want to search the archives at frameusers.com, freeframers.org, and also on the FrameMaker User-to-User Forum at adobe.com, for a view of the history of FrameMaker issues and community support. These are also good places to post your request for more opinions.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices