HTML Guides

Subject: HTML Guides
From: Heidi Colonna <mahalapoo_cliff -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:43:41 -0700 (PDT)

Our shop is planning (in the near future) on moving from .pdf guides, mostly user guides, to HTML user guides. In doing some research online, it appears that HTML guides are not all that different from online help systems as far as the chunking of information/topics. The only major difference I've noticed is that in help systems you have a TOC and in an HTML guide you have a list of links.

Some of our guides use information mapping (IM) procedures. In playing with the HTML output of guides with these IM tables, the information mapping tables are lengthy and look bad.

My sense is that as we move to HTML, in our documentation that uses the IM method is going to have to be changed.

Has anyone ever seen or heard pros/cons on using IM tables in HTML guides?

Does anyone know of any good resources/best practices for HTML guides?

Your feedback is appreciated.

MC