Re: Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise?

Subject: Re: Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise?
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:11:48 +0300

Yves Barbion wrote:
> ... Compelling reasons to move to FrameMaker? From the top of my head:
> ... - smooth "Save as PDF" with all the hyperlinks and bells and whistles included ...

I had used Ventura Publisher extensively (versions 1.0 to 4.1). It was as a very promising product for its time. I was very dissatisfied with the first Corel versions (especially 5.x) and switched to FrameMaker when it became available for Windows (FM3.0). Ventura Publisher was entirely redesigned/rewritten by Corel and it practically has no resemblance to the VP5 or earlier. I did not have the chance to inspect the latest VP versions so cannot comment specifically on moving from VP to FM.

One comment as to FM->PDF. FrameMaker is a great tool to use for the authoring of high-quality interactive PDFs of complex technical documentation and document collections. A summary of built-in PDF capabilities can be found in a presentation I had last month in the San Diego STC chapter, http://www.stc-sd.org/events-meetings/meeting_past.htm

I strongly recommend, however, not to use the "Save as PDF" function (including not in FM7.2), but print to PS file(s) and distill. Limitations of FM's "Save as PDF" include:

* Distilling warnings/errors are not reported by FrameMaker.
(When using "Save as PDF", FrameMaker uses Distiller; it does not write the PDF directly).

* Switching of printer drivers in the process of Saving as PDF is not reported, even though the PDF may not match the current FrameMaker layout (line/page breaks) or have issued with missing fonts.
For a demonstration of how switching the printer driver changes line breaks (and in the case of this sample file also the page count), see http://www.microtype.com/resources/FM-linebreaks.avi (448K).

* Bugs specific to the "Save as PDF" process -- such as missing text in shaded table cells (when "Tagged PDF" turned on), or problems with cross-file links.
For more info and sample files, see "FrameMaker Annoyances: Bugs & Issues" http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html#FM71
(note: this problem is listed under FM7.1 but applies to FM7.2 as well)

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars