RE: What areas of FrameMaker should I focus on as a new technical writer?

Subject: RE: What areas of FrameMaker should I focus on as a new technical writer?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:57:59 -0400

James and Andy said...

> >Andy Kelsall wrote:
>
> >I've just completed a technical writing program and will be looking
for a
> >position as a technical writer in the near future.
>
> >I realize a lot of employers require knowledge of FM for any
technical
> >writing position within their company. Because FM can do so much, I'm
> >looking for advice on what areas I should focus on now to land that
first
> >job. My hope is to be proficient in certain areas of FM to land my
first
> >position, then improve my skills/knowledge of FM once I'm working in
the
> >technical writing field. Any advice from those working in the field?
>
> This posting is ironic as it posted at the same time as mine, and I
think
> we're both looking for the same information.
>
> I can tell you that I have worked with FM in the past, but the
companies
> that I worked for already had templates in place and only needed
re-writes
> of existing material.

When I first started using new Adobe software, the absolutely most
useful reference books I ever purchased were the "Classroom in a Book"
series for whatever title and version of the software you are using.

If you need to learn how to navigate FrameMaker and re-learn all its
powerful secrets, I think your first investment should be in the CBB
book for whatever version you are using.