Questions on the Business End of Things

Subject: Questions on the Business End of Things
From: Jon Steiner <jon -at- htmhell -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:32:31 -0400

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Question:

What technical writing jobs that you know of pay more than $100K per year on the East Coast?

I see jobs for Senior Technical Writer on the west coast that pay $120K, however with the cost of Silicon Valley living, I couldn't see my standard of living being better by moving there.

Question 2:

Do you know of anyone who has ever risen beyond TW to become a VP at a company? I think TW is a dead-end job. You become a Senior TW, then a Principal TW or a Team Lead or a TW Manager, but it doesn't go any higher from there. And I think most companies would have a coronary before paying someone with 'writer' in his/her title more than $100K

Granted, some people don't want to go 'higher', and 'higher' is, after a certain point, merely a frame of mind anyway.

Some arcane subspecialties command $100K, however, they usually specify years of specialized knowledge (usually which a company wishes to acquire as cheaply as possible). Additionally, they are tied to the fortunes of that industry (I'm thinking specifically of finance writers who were laidoff en-masse between 2000 and 2004).

Any recruiters who know of anything for a technical writer with 10 years of experience in software and finance, contact me DIRECTLY :)

--Jon Steiner