RE: Recipes as technical writing?

Subject: RE: Recipes as technical writing?
From: "Evans, Diane L (Rosetta)" <diane_evans -at- merck -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:53:41 -0400

>The other (more recent) was in response to the fact that more people now
>live on their own, TV dinners and the fact that much of the traditional
cookery learning no longer existed. People couldn't do the basics so it
>started with the basics (e.g. how to boil an egg, cook potatoes etc. - I
>kid you not) right the way through to more complicated recipes.

My wonderfully-intelligent-computer-programming son would benefit from a
cookbook like that. A few years ago, he decided to have Thanksgiving dinner
in his new condo. I agreed to cook the turkey and bring it over; his job
was to see that the "trimmings" were made or brought by another family
member. He decided to make the candied yams.

He called me on Thanksgiving morning, asking how to make the yams. I told
him to bake the yams like he would a potato, and I would come over and help
with the rest. He then went to the Internet to learn how to bake a potato!

Tech writing tie-in -- Yes, recipe books are like technical manuals. Seldom
read, and seldom followed in the expected order when they are read.

Diane Evans
Requirements Analyst
ASQ CSQE
Rosetta Inpharmatics
206-802-6560

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.