RE: Frame/PDF-to-Word converter

Subject: RE: Frame/PDF-to-Word converter
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'Ron Kissiah'" <ronkissiah -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:19:38 -0700

Can't help with the program choice -- I use Acrobat 7 for the conversion
process and am happy with it but it isn't under $100 -- but you might try
cleaning up the files as much as possible in Acrobat before doing the
conversion. At least crop to eliminate headers and footers. In Acrobat, you
can use PDF Optimizer (Advanced menu) afterwards to actually get rid of what
it appears you just cropped out but didn't really nuke (sigh). Different
programs might have a variation on this cropping and optimizing but if the
program doesn't let you crop AND only end up with what you see, I'd try
something else.

Have fun with the styles afterwards. ;-) Actually, Word's select text with
similar formatting can do wonders .... and it helps to have intermediate
styles with wild colours so you can better see what is going on and do bulk
case changes, etc.

Makes one wonder where the layout file black hole is.

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

Hi. I'm in the process of coverting PDF documents into Microsoft Word
documents. The orignals were authored in Framemaker and were heavily styled
and formatted, so the transition is going to be bumpy at best. I understand
software is available that converts PDFs to Word automatically, and I've
convinced my company to invest in a package.