Question for people with tech writing businesses

Subject: Question for people with tech writing businesses
From: Robert Stoker <info -at- seatechpubs -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:37:48 -0700

For an intern, you may want to look at the Technical Communications Department at the University of Washington (http://www.uwtc.washington.edu/). They have a strong program, and I think all of the undergrads have to do an internship.

Good luck.

Robert Stoker, President
Seatech Publications, Inc.
Content Development,
FrameMaker Plug-ins, and
Product Information Management Systems
www.seatechpubs.com

Question for people with tech writing businesses
Dick Margulis margulisd at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 14:59:58 MDT 2006

I'm working on a proposal to do a large documentation project for a
local organization--more than I care to do by myself, as I have other,
non-TW projects competing for my time. However, I'm not sure the best
approach to take to staff such a project. I suppose I could advertise
for a contractor, but given the time of year, I'm thinking of looking
for an intern. I realize I'd have to supervise closely and do a lot of
teaching, but that's fine with me.

Any strong cautions, one way or the other (contractor vs. intern)? Any
suggestions where to troll for interns efficiently?

This is all very tentative, as I don't have the contract yet. So please,
no résumés. I'm just looking for guidance from people who've been here
before.

Thanks,

Dick