UI navigation info for customizable UI

Subject: UI navigation info for customizable UI
From: "Chris Orr" <got2940 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:35:36 -0400

Hello techwr-lers.

My documentation team has a thorny problem with our product's new UI. With the new UI, users can choose how they want to view the product, and items appear in different folders and menu structures, according to the chosen view. Additionally, users can create new views.

We do not know how to direct users to find the items mentioned in procedures. We have tentatively decided to provide no UI navigation info in the procedures but instead provide a comprehensive UI navigation section in our Basics chapter. But we are concerned that users may find the procedures they need, but not go on to use them because they can't find the items mentioned in the procedures.

Whatever solution we decide on, it must work for us in a highly dynamic development environment, where we maintain hundreds of documents and localize them into many different languages.

Do you have other options for providing UI navigation info that we should consider?

Thanks,
Chris Orr