UI navigation info for customizable UI

Subject: UI navigation info for customizable UI
From: "Hickling, Lisa (TOR)" <lhickling -at- Express-Scripts -dot- com>
To: "Chris Orr" <got2940 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:35:06 -0500

Best practice solutions are definitely the way to go unless you depend
on an approval process and/or developers to implement it. Here's an
approach in a pinch...

If labels remain static despite custom placement in the navigational
hierarchy,

1. Provide an inventory of each functionality including the static title
that is associated with that function, in addition to your
"comprehensive UI navigation section".

2. Provide a *simple* template for Administrators/Users [whoever
customizes views and navigation] to use in documenting the menu trees
that *they* have defined.

3. Make it clear to the users that it is their [Administrator's]
responsibility to maintain documentation of the custom configuration
that *they* have selected for their specific environment.

4. Refer guiltlessly to the static title of each menu item/functionality
as you write procedures.

Although it is [y]our responsibility to tell users where to go [no pun
intended], you can effectively do so only if the application limits the
routes.

HTH,
Lisa H.