Re: RoboHelp .xpj Files and TOC/Index Results

Subject: Re: RoboHelp .xpj Files and TOC/Index Results
From: "Prashanth Menon" <prashanthv -dot- menon -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:47:11 +0530

On 4/27/06, Keith Hansen <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com> wrote:

Interesting RoboHelp issue today. I was working on a WebHelp project

developed by a former coworker. When I go to open the RoboHelp project,
there are two .xpj files:

Well, looks like you use RoboSource or another source file management tool.
Do you? The reason I ask is because your coworker may have noticed similar
problems, become jittery, abandoned the original project files (abc1.xpj if
I may name it), and set up the project files again from the source (abc2.xpj).
This may or may not be true; however, it's true that abc1.xpj is fuller than
abc2.xpj. Because, abc2.xpj has the requisite code for indexes and TOCs in
the files abc2.hhk and abc2.hhc respectively.

To verify, go back to the folders where these two projects are stored ( abc1and
abc2 in our example) and look for <project file name>.hhk and <project file
name>.hhc. Compare the sizes of abc1.hhk vs abc2.hhk and abc1.hhc vs
abc2.hhc. You will notice that abc1.hhk < abc2.hhk and abc1.hhc < abc2.hhc.

* If I open the project using one of the .xpj files, no table of
contents entries are displayed in the RoboHelp panel. However, some
index entries are displayed in RoboHelp. When I generate the project,
the tabs for TOC and index appear in the generated help system, but no
entries are displayed for either.

Now for the reason why there were no entries in your output. As with the
source files, the index and TOC entries in the output are controlled by
certain files present in the WebHelp folder (within abc# in our example).
Compare the file sizes of *whdata*, *whgdata*, and *whxdata* in WebHelp
(between abc1 and abc2). Eureka! :o)

Thanks,
Prashanth