Re: Readability - CD/web site

Subject: Re: Readability - CD/web site
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 16:15:53 +0530

On 5/3/06, Kathy Bowman <Kathy -dot- Bowman -at- saabsystems -dot- com -dot- au> wrote:

Hi Julie,
Where the text is very large, white on a black background is not too bad
provided it is used for headlines or labels. But as soon as I have to
read more than a few words of white text on a dark background, I find it
hard going and uncomfortable. Pages that use this can look quite good
from a distance, but are not easy to read.

Beware graphic designers who put 'artistic' considerations above
readability. National Geographic magazine went through a stage of
presenting some of their articles with callouts and headings that
wrapped over pages, and used backgrounds, font faces and colours that
made reading the articles really hard work. I nearly cancelled my
subscription, but they returned to sanity after a couple of issues.

Your first layout sounds the better option by far.

Hi Julie..

If this is a mutually exclusive choice, please count my vote for the
white background with black text.
There will, however, probably be around 10 or 15% of your readership
who, out of pure orneriness, will complain that they preferred the
black background scheme. (Or maybe they really do like it that way!).

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of Flash and/or images as an
integral part of the design, why not offer *both* color schemes to
readers? Two CSS files could probably take care of it all.

Regards,
Ed.