RE: Where to report deprecation?

Subject: RE: Where to report deprecation?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: wturner -at- force10networks -dot- com, guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 12:36:48 -0400

I think the confusion is that every company has their own
deprecation policies. In most companies, deprecation means
that no further engineering will be invested in a command or
function--no bug fixes, no new capabilties. Many companies
leave the code for the command/function in their software
for some period of time in the interest of backwards
compatibility (it's not nice to break your customers' processes
or applicaiton programs) even if they know the code is a dead
issue. Kenneth was simply wishing that companies would
indicate if/when they intended to actually remove the
command/function from the software.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: "William Turner" <wturner -at- force10networks -dot- com>
To: <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
CC: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 09:17:51 -0700

Guy,

I agree with the reply from Kenneth Nuckols about listing the deprecated
commands in a preamble to relevant books. That's what we do (Force10
Networks).

Also, in our CLI references, which are comprised of command syntax
statements, each syntax statement includes a field listing the command
history (in what software version the command was introduced, modified,
or removed). The statement also includes the migration path, which
typically contains links to the deprecated and replacement commands.

When the migration path might be confusing (I have a current case
involving one complicated command replaced by several simpler ones), we
include an explanation that might include showing an example of how to
use both methods. Depending on the complexity and how engrained the use
of the older method was, we might keep that explanation of the use of
the older method in the book through a number of editions.

BTW, I am confused by Kenneth's comment "It would also be nice to have
an explanation of how long before deprecated commands will no longer be
supported." By our definition, a deprecated command is one that is no
longer supported...in the software (or does he mean "supported by Tech
Support"?)

-- Will
408/965-5112