Re: Marketing Standards

Subject: Re: Marketing Standards
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 10:35:57 -0400

I'd offer this caution: Procter & Gamble, the largest consumer products
company in the US in terms of the advertising and marketing budget,
takes the opposite approach: each brand stands on its own and succeeds
or fails on its own. I don't mean that they hide the identity of the
corporate parent; they don't. I just mean that they don't try to impose
a top-down consistency across brands.

The only thing consistent across MS products is the logo/4-colors
use... it's very much in line with what P&G does...

I think sophisticated marketing managers who have consciously taken this
approach might find criticism coming from a "mere" tech writer to be
impertinent and insubordinate. David should play this by ear, based on
his understanding of who the players are. A strident presentation on
corporate identity and consistent branding could rub some senior people
very much the wrong way.

Agreed. But if spun in the context of expediecy on the documentation
production side, he may be able to get them to come up with the
brilliant idea of standardizing on a branding scheme and style guide.
;-)

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter