Text Aloud and Voice Narration Recommendations Requested?

Subject: Text Aloud and Voice Narration Recommendations Requested?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Loren R. Elks" <lelks -at- exstream -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 10:49:15 -0400

Loren R. Elks reports: <<We have tried Text Aloud to develop narration for our eLearning and Blended Learning projects. If you are not familiar with Text Aloud, it is located at: http://www.nextup.com/ . This program enables you to enter text and have a voice give you narration for it. However, we are finding that we need a program that will allow us to better fine tune inflections and the pronunciation of words. We have a budget of around $1K for this new software, if necessary.>>

Just a thought: Have you considered actually hiring "voice talent" and using a human instead of software? I understand that this is not always an option, particularly where your revision cycle is chaotic and the text isn't finalized until the software ships, but it's still the best solution if you want realistic narration.

Of course, humans are more expensive and someone (probably you) must take responsibility for ensuring that there are no "voicepos" (verbal typos <g>), skipped text, or mispronounced words, but there are shortcuts that can make the process less expensive.

For example, your local university undoubtedly has a drama department, and most big cities have radio or TV broadcasting schools. Students work cheap compared with unionized professionals, but can nonetheless do a very good job, particularly if you teach them certain key pronunciations--plus, you're doing them a huge favor by giving them experience they can list on their resume and better income than they'd get flipping burgers.

www.geoff-hart.com