Re: Non-TW supervisor

Subject: Re: Non-TW supervisor
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:00:53 -0400

What a coincidence... you must know my manager! She's what I call a
techno-retard. I find it extremely frustrating to communicate with her. I
also find it a bit perplexing that my performance is being evaluated by
someone who hasn't got the foggiest idea of my environment, and lacks an
appreciation of good documentation. She also lacks a management background.
In my recent review, she actually told me "I'm sure there's a lot of
technical writers out there that are better than you". I never said I was
the best, but now I feel like compiling a list of names and phone numbers of
techwriters whom I know are better than me. I'm sure they make more than me
as well.

Sounds like an interesting situation. I'm sure some clear and targeted
communication would fix a lot of this.

I don't have the patience (nor do I feel I should) to "train" her. Others
in the company are appreciative of my efforts (I go out of my way to help
anyone/everyone). She's a thorn in my side that I endeavour to work around.
Works so far.

I won't go into the details, but there are many pitfalls to working
around your supervisor.

My previous manager lacked a tech comm background as well, but was very
technically savvy and easy to communicate and work with. I think the
personality/technical aptitude of the manager is more important than an tech
comm background.

I've had many managers who were tech-savvy, techcomm-savvy, and many
who were neither. None of this had anything to do with whether or not
they were a good manager. The key to any good manager/employee
relationship is trust. If you don't have that, no other factor really
matters. The same can be said for *any* professional relationship,
whether it be manager/worker or peer/peer.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter