Salaries in rural areas (New England)

Subject: Salaries in rural areas (New England)
From: Elizabeth Sprague <elizabeth -dot- sprague -at- mgemaine -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 19:01:06 -0400

Hello All -

I'm looking for a leg up on salary information for a mid-level and senior tech writing with some instructional design responsibilities in rural New England.
We're talking rural with a cap-R in a HUB zone. I have been hired into service position and asked, given my many years experience, to do tech writing/instructional design instead. This after the State Employment office which referred me to the original job deleted all my tech writing experience out of my profile because "we've never had a request for that kind of work here." Go figure.

I've looked at STC but the info there is heavily urban and has zilch for my state. I am a day's drive from any settlement that ever was considered a relation to anything with 'Silicon' in it's nickname.

I even scanned STC's info for salaries in AL and MS thinking that salary offerings there might be relevant to my situation. Nothing there.
I'm anticipating push-back in renegotiation of my current salary. Any ideas / resources out there?

TIA,

ECS