RE: Programs to create a software walk-through?

Subject: RE: Programs to create a software walk-through?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "John Bartol" <johnbartol -at- shaw -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:23:39 -0400

John Bartol said...

> I'll be archive-diving for related discussions, but a client wants to
> discuss this tomorrow, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Client has an application with a character-based interface. Probably
> around 15 main screens, total of 40 screens including sub-screens.
>
> Client would like to have a demo disk made that walks a user through
the
> typical functions of the system as a training aid. Nothing overly
> fancy... not a lot of hours to allocate to this effort.
>
> So... I'm downloading Camtasia right now -- are there others that
would
> be worth considering?

I was about to suggest Captivate (I think both Camtasia and Captivate
are Macromedia products, are they not) -- I've seen them both demoed
live at STC meetings and trade shows, and they seem to work very well.
But since I have not had occasion to use either one in my work to this
point, I'm a little fuzzy on the distinction between the two. It doesn't
help that the names are so familiar that they get muddled in my head.

If memory serves, they both can be used for recording animated
sequences, like a program walk-through. Someone correct me if I'm
mistaken, but I believe one does this by recording everything you do and
playing it back "at speed" like a movie; the other one just records one
frame every time you click something and adds animation to "move" the
pointer smoothly from one area of the screen to another. I don't know
which approach would be better for the scenario you need to create, of
course.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.