RE: Conducting Telephone Interviews

Subject: RE: Conducting Telephone Interviews
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:49:39 -0400

"No wonder job-hunting is so hard. An ideal answer for one interviewer will
stop another interviewer cold!"

That is so true! They have been hiring developers in my office, and I share my quad with two of the developers involved in the hiring process. It is amazing to listen to them afterwards, you would think they were in two different interviews. The varying impressions they come out with after an interview make me glad I am not looking for a job at the moment!

I have always believed the best answer to give is one that you truly believe. If you sincerely believe that there is nothing you can't do, people will believe it too. On the other hand, if you just give a pat "I can do anything I set my mind to" with no conviction, people will either see through it.

The only real advice for an interview is just be yourself, as no one wants to work for something 40 hours a week if you can't be yourself.

Melissa

From: Joyce Fetterman <joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: 'John Posada' <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Martha J Davidson<editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:00 -0400
> >I've never found anything I didn't already know how to do that I
> >couldn't learn how to do very quickly to a high degree of competence.
>
> Fwiw, if you were interviewing with me, I'd consider that an ideal
> answer.

John Posada replied:
<<and I see it as a not-very-good answer. To me, it shows that the person
has stayed in their comfort range and hasn't taken on any really hard
stuff.>>

That's exactly the opposite of how I'd hear that answer. To me it says that
she's able to quickly learn new skills, and not just the basics, but enough
to be highly competent. There's nothing that speaks to a lack of willingness
to try new things or reluctance to try something difficult.

No wonder job-hunting is so hard. An ideal answer for one interviewer will
stop another interviewer cold!

Joyce

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com