RE: Conducting Telephone Interviews

Subject: RE: Conducting Telephone Interviews
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

> In the interests of tooting my own horn, Donna's
> interpretation pretty closely matches my intention
> and my actual experience. Up thread I mentioned that
> I love to learn new things, and it's true. I
> particularly _love_ being given a meaty problem and
> told to go solve it.

There's a difference between solving a "meaty problem" and putting
yourself in a hard siuation that is out of your comfort zone. A meaty
problem might be "Donna...document setting up a server" that might
take a day to a week. You can then return back to your zone
afterwards. Being out of your comfort zone is "Donna...your're a new
employee and our company produces model-based root-cause enterprise
network anlysis software unlike anything else on the market. Now,
produce for me a set of installaion guides." It's not a meaty
problem...it's the environment you now work in.

> And John's reaction may explain why I haven't been
> hired when I give that answer. I have _got_ to learn
> to elaborate. Maybe I err too much on the side of caution,
> since I'm very confident of my abilities but don't
> want to give the impression of unwarranted arrogance.

Arogance and confidence are two things. You can never demonstrate too
much confidence and arrogance at any level is too much. Yes, it is a
technique you need to aquire, because if you don't toot your own horn
with lots of confidence, who will?

> And hey, all you people saying you'd hire me on the
> basis of some of these answers? I'm looking! ;)

Donna...you threw me for a loop with this lst part of your answer.
Ever hear that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing
over and over, expecting a different result?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"So long and thanks for all the fish."