Re: Create Marketing CD to Autostart or Autorun

Subject: Re: Create Marketing CD to Autostart or Autorun
From: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Nelson, Julie " <JOHNST -at- acehardware -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:31:15 -0500

Hi Julie

The trick to autorun is simply including a small ASCII text file named autorun.inf. Basically you place some commands inside the file that tell Windows what to do with it.

Keep in mind that this is a Windows only feature (to the best of my knowledge). Also, starting HTML files is problematic. autorun.inf can really only start executable files. So you may need a solution in conjunction with your Dreamweaver pages. For this, you may want to visit fellow Microsoft Help MVP David Liske's site:

http://frogleg.mvps.org/helptechnologies/projects/prjdocrn.html

Additionally, note that many IT departments now routinely disable the autorun feature because they deem it to be a security risk.

Hopefully this helps... Rick :)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nelson, Julie " <JOHNST -at- acehardware -dot- com>