Re: 'Entire' Vs. 'Whole'

Subject: Re: 'Entire' Vs. 'Whole'
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- c" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 06:08:29 -0400

Barry Campbell wrote:

On 5/24/06, Dilraj Suri <dssuri -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
Could anyone please suggest, which one of the following is correct and why?

1. I can't see the entire <product_name_acronym> screen.
2. I can't see the whole <product_name_acronym> screen.

Both of them seem fine to me, actually. You're conveying that part of
the screen is cut off on your display.

Actually, entire and whole are interchangeable here; but screen is usually the wrong word. If this is a window-type application (not necessarily Windows, but any window-type GUI) with scrollbars, then it would be appropriate to write, "I can't seen the {entire|whole} <product_name_acronym> window." If it is a device- and OS-independent Web application, then write, "I can't seen the {entire|whole} <product_name_acronym> page." The word screen is generally used only for applications that run on a character terminal.

The object on which you cannot see the page, window, or screen is the monitor.

The only other context in which screen is the word usually chosen is the surface of the device, such as when you are discussing physical care and maintenance of the screen.

Dick
http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/