Headers and footers in HTML documents - Or a lesson in banging your head against the wall

Subject: Headers and footers in HTML documents - Or a lesson in banging your head against the wall
From: "Puffer, Paula \(Paula\)" <Paula -dot- Puffer -at- ElPaso -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:07:54 -0500

I've been given the task of improving our process for moving manuals
from Word Documents to HTML and PDF. The current process was put in
place before I got here. It was not tested to see how it actually
worked. It blows up on a regular basis and it blows up differently each
and every time.
The process as it stands now is make corrections in Word, merge the word
files using a program called Twins File Merger and then convert the
merged file using another program called Click to Convert. They picked
Click to Convert because the PDF and HTML generated files looks EXACTLY
like the Word documents (including the headers and footers), which is
what my bosses want. The PDF is no big deal, but the HTML generated by
Click to Convert is awful. Every line is assigned a class id and if you
open it up in an editor like Frontpage or Dreamweaver, it's a nightmare
to look at.
I'd like to see the process be something like make corrections in Word
and generate PDFs and HTML using Framemaker, ePublisher Pro, or some
equivalent program. At this point the PDF is not an issue with them,
it's the HTML. Anyone know of any programs that will convert word docs
exactly as they appear into HTML? I'm working on persuading my bosses
that really in the HTML documents the Header information is not needed
because they want any printing that happens to come from the PDF and not
the HTML and that HTML is about making the information accessible and
not the presentation.
My bosses have no problem spending the money on the tools, they just
want to make sure the process we come up with works better than what we
have in place now.
Thanks
Paula Puffer, Technical Writer
E-mail: paula -dot- puffer -at- elpaso -dot- com
Phone: 713-420-4787
Cell: 832-545-2003

This email and any files transmitted with it from the ElPaso
Corporation are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
sender.