Re: Maxit Simplified English

Subject: Re: Maxit Simplified English
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:14:32 -0400

Bill Swallow wrote:

No tool can take the place of a well-skilled human, but this might
help a skilled human do the job.

Exactly. As an editor, I don't let Word's grammar checker or spell checker dictate anything to me, but I'm happy to let them point out things I should take a look at. I just treat the checker as another pair of eyes that happens to be attached to a good memory. I don't let it override my judgment, though.

The best solution is to train your
writers on how to write.

No. You can train people who are already writers how to do technical writing (if they have an aptitude for and interest in the technology). But it is difficult and expensive to train non-writers to write proficiently. It is far more cost-effective to have them collate, organize, and format information, fact-check, and assemble illustrative material and to hire an editor to get the words right.

This tool can probably be used by trained
writers or an editor to consistently edit the documentation.

Yes.

Dick,
bloggin' in the wind at http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/