Re: Headers and footers in HTML documents - Or a lesson in banging your head against the wall

Subject: Re: Headers and footers in HTML documents - Or a lesson in banging your head against the wall
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:45:27 -0500

One thing you might want to look into is a print CSS... I started looking into it and seem to recall that there might be a way to incorporate headers/footers. However, I have no direct knowledge, just an idea that might get you closer to where the PHBs want you to be. My best results when investigating came through searching the web for "print.css". I managed to find some tutorial pages that should be helpful.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:57:23 -0500
From: "Puffer, Paula \(Paula\)" <Paula -dot- Puffer -at- ElPaso -dot- com>
Subject: RE: Headers and footers in HTML documents - Or a lesson in
banging your head against the wall
<snip>
<<< <<I'm working on persuading my bosses that really in the HTML
documents
the Header information is not needed because they want any printing
that happens to come from the PDF and not the HTML and that HTML is
about making the information accessible and not the presentation.>>

Headers are easy: they become the title information for each HTML file
(i.e., the name that appears at the top of the browser window when you
open the file). The rest of the header information is meaningless
because there are no page numbers in HTML... or there shouldn't be.>>>
Bingo! At this point, I'm seriously considering some sort of meeting
with my bosses to really discuss the header issues. Click to Convert is
really an anomaly in how it handles document information.
Paula