Emigrating to Canada: how to bring your job with you?

Subject: Emigrating to Canada: how to bring your job with you?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:31:31 -0400

Every so often, I get inquiries from someone (most often a writer or editor) interested in moving to Canada, and I'm usually happy to provide basic advice. But I'm not an immigration lawyer, and don't play one on techwr-l. <g> So I thought I'd troll techwr-l for some authoritative advice I can pass along next time someone asks me.

This particular query was motivated by a colleague, Jeannette Cezanne <jcezanne -at- CUSTOMLINE -dot- COM>, who's hoping to move to Montreal some time in the next few years. She's also looking for assistance finding work for her husband so he can come with. <g> He's an experienced software engineer who's been telecommuting for 10 years and is interested in continuing this arrangement, but probably with a new employer because his current employer is slowly winding down that arrangement.

Problem is, when you apply to immigrate into Canada, the government gives you bonus points if you bring your job with you rather than taking work away from a Canadian. So if you have any specific suggestions* for either of them (e.g., if you know of a telecommuting programmer job going begging), please pass along the information.

* "I understand that Monster.com has a Monster.ca site" types of advice are not specific. <g> I'm thinking of specific resources you used when you immigrated, paperwork you didn't expect, whether it's better to look for a U.S. job and take it with him or a Canadian job and move to it, and other gotchas (cross-border taxation problems) or insider tips.

Please send a copy to Jeannette; she's not a member of techwr-l. Thanks!

www.geoff-hart.com