Numbered List Changes After MS Word Cut/Paste...

Subject: Numbered List Changes After MS Word Cut/Paste...
From: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:30:02 -0500

Explain a mystery for me, if you can...

* I have text in a Word document. It includes numbered lists. Word
automatically numbered the list when I applied the numbering. Numbering
begins at "1."

* I cut the text from one Word document into a new document. Sometimes
(but not always) the numbering will be changed after the paste.

* Example: Numbered list begins with "1" in the old Word document.
After the paste into the new document, the list now begins with "5".

Why? Any solutions?

I have had similar problems with paragraph formatting during a cut/paste
from one Word doc to another. Example:

* I copy text in Word Document No. 1. Text has a paragraph style
applied to it (call it style "XYZ").

* I paste text into Word Document No. 2. Word looks to see if Document
No. 2 already has a style called XYZ. If so, Word makes the pasted text
conform to the specifications for style XYZ in Document No. 2.

* Text was Arial 12pt in Doc. No. 1. After paste into Doc. No. 2, it is
now Times 12pt.

Is the problem with the numbered lists a similar issue? Or entirely
different?

Thanks for any ideas...

Keith