Recruiters WAS: Did I overreact?

Subject: Recruiters WAS: Did I overreact?
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:59:34 -0500

Ironically I was just supposed to have a second interview for a contract-to-perm position through a recruiter. The client company has fired every tech. writer they've had in the past, so I asked the recruiter if I could speak with the gentleman that was fired and came through this same recruitment firm. He told me that the man had been "lazy," was fired "after two weeks," and "let his ego get in the way."

Talk about red flags. Whoa. A friend of ours was over Sunday night for dinner and I told him some of this. He suggested I speak with the fired tech. writer. So, he was here yesterday fixing our Audi with the husband and I told him these comments. He replied, "I hope you told the recruiter to sod off."

I did, but in a way that totally blamed me. I explained that I wouldn't be able to work 40 hours a week onsite. It is a contract after all, there should be some flexibility. The recruiter told me he cancelled the interview because of the not being able to work 40 hours a week onsite. Ironically, in the first interview they told me I could VPN in and it wouldn't be a problem.

I just don't *get* recruiters.

Proceed with caution with recruiters. Learn to market on your own!

Michele

"There are no dull subjects. There are only dull writers." -HL Mencken
Michele
www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber empyre

tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com wrote:

You reacted the same as I have in the past. If it hurts their feelings...so what? Sometimes the larger companies are bad about undercutting pay scales.
They can get away with it because some people (for several reasonas)accept that rate.