Post: Need to convert a Word doc u-guide into help using HTML Help Workshop

Subject: Post: Need to convert a Word doc u-guide into help using HTML Help Workshop
From: Jennifer Savage <jsavage97 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

I'm somewhat new to the tech writing world. I have several Word user
guides for our apps that I need to get converted into
online/context-sensitive help. I need to do this using HTML Help
Workshop. (Currently we are sending these docs as PDFs to users, so we
need something MUCH smaller and more user friendly than these PDFs).

Where would you suggest I start? What is the best way to convert these
word docs into HTML pages? I know from past experiance that Word throws
in a lot of extraneous tagging, so what would you suggest? I know I
will have to break these docs down into small pieces for the online
help. Also, is it possible to have screenshots of any kind in the
online help using this help program from MS? Once I convert these docs
into HTML pages, how are they uploaded into HTML Workshop and
eventually converted into CHM files? (The directories are currently set
up in VS.NET solutions).

Thanks!
Jen

Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.