Re: Modularization of Documentation

Subject: Re: Modularization of Documentation
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Tony Markos" <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:59:36 -0400

The software engineering community has largely had a
standard definition of what a module is for a couple
of decades. If in the TW community a module can have
any number of definitions, ya gotta wonder.

It reminds me of the research I did a ways back on
structured writing. Many people say "Ya gotta have
structure", but that's about it. A popular technique
that does not exist.

You know Tony, I'm growing tired of your dismissal of others input
while providing no real substance of your own. I deciced to search
Google for "module":

http://tinyurl.com/kasqa

Which one is the standard definition?

But to take the gist of them, it's a "defined chunk of something". A
module can be a small bit of functionality, or it can be a large
grouping of functionality that solves a specific set of problems or
performs a specific set of tasks. At least, that's my understanding of
a software definition of the word "module" based on my experience with
over 10 different software shops, not to mention literature, training
sessions, and conference seminars.

In applying this to information, a module can be a specific definition
of a term, a glossary, a procesure, a system of procedures, a
conceptual model, or what have you. It's a defined unit that has a
specific purpose.

So I guess if you don't like the definitions being offered, please
define your own terms for us so we may learn where you're coming from.
Otherwise we'll never know where you're coming from.

Please note that this specific community (techwr-l) has been asking
you for specifics in defense of your dismissive comments for the past
8 years.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter