Enumeration question

Subject: Enumeration question
From: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:54:19 -0400

Colleagues,
Our Curriculum Standards Committee is debating corporate standards and I
have a question of you. One of the open points is whether to use a period
after an enumerative level. In documenting processes, we use numbers to show
steps. In the example below, I show two sets of processes; one with numbers
and periods, the other with numbers without periods. Does anyone have any
research or can point me to any research that would indicate if using a
period with the enumerative symbol is better (or worse) than not using a
period?
1. Do this. 1 Do this.
2. Do this next. 2 Do this next.
3. Do this last 3 Do this last

I appreciate any assistance that you can provide.
Regards,
David

David B. Dubin, PHR
Senior Curriculum Developer