RE: Enumeration question

Subject: RE: Enumeration question
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:19:26 -0600

David Dubin wrote:

> Our Curriculum Standards Committee is debating corporate
> standards and I have a question of you. One of the open
> points is whether to use a period after an enumerative level.
> In documenting processes, we use numbers to show steps. In
> the example below, I show two sets of processes; one with
> numbers and periods, the other with numbers without periods.
> Does anyone have any research or can point me to any research
> that would indicate if using a period with the enumerative
> symbol is better (or worse) than not using a period?
> 1. Do this. 1 Do this.
> 2. Do this next. 2 Do this next.
> 3. Do this last 3 Do this last

This made me laugh, because the missing period after "Do this last" was
the first thing I noticed.

Like Geoff, I can't imagine there being any research, or it finding any
significant difference if it existed.

Like Beth, I'm inclined to insert something (period, right parens) if
the numbers are in line with the text, but dispense with it when a
hanging indent, font change, or other visual cue makes it superfluous.

And, speaking as an old fogey, I suspect Beth may be right about it
being generational.

All that having been said, I commend you on having already resolved the
vast array of issues that are far more significant than this one. Now,
flip a coin, call the matter decided, and get on with life. :-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer